Public Service Announcement
Town announces highlights on Budget 2019
For Immediate Release
Release Date: December 13, 2018
Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NL – The Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay presented its 2019 Budget during a December 13, 2018, Town Council meeting, highlighting no change in Mil Rates on Residential or Commercial Properties and no change in the Water & Sewer rates. Budget 2019 also includes infrastructure investments and community enhancements.
During the pre-budget public consultation period, the Town received input from the community on the importance of issues such as investments in infrastructure, recreation, the arts, municipal services, early childhood development, and socio-environmental initiatives.
“I would like to acknowledge the Town employees and management for their hard work and dedication in making Happy Valley-Goose Bay a great place to live,” said Councillor Michelle Baikie, Chair of the Finance, Administration & Policy Committee. Councillor Baikie went on to say “I am pleased to say that in the 12th Council’s second year, we continue to demonstrate a fiscally responsible 2019 balanced budget to our residents.”
“Balancing a budget is always a challenge for any municipality, having said that, I am pleased that this Council did so, while at the same time meeting the needs of our residents.” said Mayor Wally Andersen adding “We are confident that the sound, strategic investments within Budget 2019 will result in positive growth and enhance continued development of Happy Valley-Goose Bay.”
Budget 2019 includes strategic investments in areas identified as priorities for the community and the municipality.
The budget highlights include:
- No increase in Property Tax Mil Rates on Residential or Commercial Properties.
- No increase in Business Tax Mil Rates.
- Introduction of new business tax category for not for profit organizations of 8.0 Mils.
- No increase in Water & Sewer Rates
- No changes to Recreational Fees, Equipment Rates, Tipping Fees, Permits, or Animal Control Fees.
- Property Tax Low Income Relief Policy remains in effect.
- $1.9 M investment in Roads upgrades & paving which includes Phase 2 of Kelland Drive Reconstruction.
- Town to continue investment in Water & Sewer upgrades.
- Council committed to investments in Tourism initiatives such as RV Park, walking trail improvements as well as addressing security, seating, and access to MMC Sportsplex.
- Purchase of equipment to address concerns of the community over sand on lawns, trails, and Council also committing to replace some of the Town’s Fleet.
- Town to launch Animal Control Pilot Project with seasonal Animal Control Officer in addition to current position.
– 30 –
For more information, please contact:
Public Relations & Special Events Manager
- o) 709-896-3254; c) 709-896-1609