EJ Broomfield Memorial Arena & Kinsmen Park
Winter 2021 Schedule
Kinsmen Park Winter Wonderland
The Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay Department of Community Services & Recreation is pleased to advise residents that Kinsmen Park will remain open for the remainder of the Winter Season for snowshoeing and walking activities. The response has been overwhelming, so we have also decided to leave some of the lighting used during the holidays up.
The hours of access are:
Mondays to Sundays from 10:00 AM to 9:00 PM (subject to change)
Access to Kinsmen Park will be from the parking lot only, and washroom facilities are not available at Kinsmen Park. Please practice physical distancing at all times when accessing the facility.
Residents are advised that all playground equipment located in Kinsmen Park is CLOSED to the public in the interest of health & safety. Staff will be installing applicable barricades to discourage access to playground equipment.
Walkers and Snowshoers are encouraged to remain on the path to avoid any extension cords used for lighting.
In consultation with officials at Labrador Grenfell Health and guidance released by the Provincial Chief Medical Officer of Health’s office, the 12th Council of Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Management, and Staff will continue to monitor updates relating to the pandemic and update residents regularly.
EJ Broomfield Memorial Arena – Winter 2021 Schedule (subject to change)
The Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay Department of Community Services & Recreation is advising residents that the EJ Broomfield Arena Winter Schedule resumed on Sunday, November 1, 2020, with the below events schedule. Please note, there is no charge for the events listed below and all events are subject to change.
Hockey Skate (age 16 years +) Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 1:00 PM to 1:50 PM
Senior Hockey Skate (age 55 years +) Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Senior Skate (55 years +) Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM
Public Skate –
Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 12:00 PM to 12:45 PM
Sundays from 2:00 PM to 2:40 PM & 3:00 PM to 3:40 PM
*Note for Sunday, January 31, 2021, only there will be only one Public Skate that day from 2:00 PM to 2:40 PM
Mom’s & Tots Casual Skate – Wednesdays 3:00 PM to 3:40 PM
*Residents are also advised of the following guidelines in effect to help prevent the potential spread of COVID-19:
- Doors to the EJ Broomfield Memorial Arena will be open 15 minutes prior to the start of the above-mentioned events and will be locked 5 minutes after the start of the above-mentioned events.
- Maximum of 35 Skaters permitted on a “first come first serve” basis. Helmets are recommended while on the ice surface.
- Spectators not permitted at the above-mentioned events.
- Masks must be worn once inside the arena but can be removed once on the ice. When leaving the ice, masks must be worn again.
- Upon entry of the arena, a form must be filled out, hand sanitizer is also available. The “Fit to Play” screening process must be completed by anyone entering the EJ Broomfield Memorial Arena.
- Chairs will be available for individuals to use to put on / remove skates.
- Please adhere to Physical Distancing guidelines by keeping a minimum of 6 feet (2 metres) between yourself and others. “Stay within your bubble and try not to burst others”.
- Only four skaters at one time can occupy benches for any required rest. Physical Distancing Markers are present and we ask skaters to respect this guideline.
- Once the skating events listed above are finished, we respectfully ask that you take off your skates, gather belongings, and exit the arena within 10 minutes. This will allow the staff to clean and prep for the next event.
- Please familiarize yourself and your family and follow any other rules as required by the provincial health guidelines found at the following link:
The Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay Department of Community Services & Recreation is pleased to welcome you back to your EJ Broomfield Memorial Arena.
Many indoor community events, recreation, and sporting activities take place in the Broomfield Arena. Prior to COVID-19, the facility could accommodate approximately 643 people in the bleachers and standing room for 80 for ice events. The Arena would normally accommodate 1900 people when the ice surface is covered with a floor.
This facility has been host to many major events such as the Labrador Winter Games and the Expo Labrador Trade Show, as well as concerts. The Town’s Department of Community Services and Recreation operates the arena which includes a 26 x 56 m sized rink, locker rooms, and conference room. The office of the Director of Community Services and Recreation is located in the arena.
As one of the busiest facilities operated by the Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay, the EJ Broomfield Memorial Arena is always a hive of activity 12 months of the year. To see “What’s Happening” check out our Recreation Schedule by clicking the below link: