In-Person (Monday to Friday – 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM)
The Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay is advising the public that it is closely monitoring information related to the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
To help further protect the health, safety, and welfare of all residents of Happy Valley-Goose Bay, the 12th Council of the Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay is advising residents and businesses of the many options available for payment of Tax Bills, and fees for service.
As we adapt to a new normal, we need to modify how we serve residents and businesses. Though cash and cheque will be accepted, the preferred method of payment is debit or credit card.
To this end, the following actions for re-opening and payment options at the Town Hall were implemented on Wednesday, May 20, 2020:
- The public will be permitted to pay their Residential and Business Tax Bills as well as other fees at Town Hall from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday to Friday
- For all other services, please call 896-3321 to arrange an appointment
- Barricades will be put in place to allow only for a straight path between the bill payment counter and the door
- A plexiglass barrier has been installed to provide a safe physical distance while serving residents
- Clerks have been provided Mask to wear at all times.
- All visitors to Town Hall must wear a mask as per Provincial Public Health Guidelines
- The Clerk will wipe down the debit machine after each transaction
Online & Other Payment Options
Property Owners and Commercial Tenants are strongly encouraged to pay their annual tax bills using electronic methods. Outlined below are payment methods currently available.
- Online Banking Platforms – The Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay is currently registered with the following financial institutions:
Royal Bank of Canada (RBC),
Bank of Montreal (BMO),
TD Canada Trust, and
Central 1 Credit Union (Eagle River Credit Union, League Savings and Mortgage).
In the Add a payee section, search the word “Happy” and you will be able to locate the Town’s payee name. Next, the account number will be the six- or nine-digit “Municipal Account Number” found on your tax bill (see below sample invoice) followed by enough zeroes (0), either five or two, to reach 11 digits in total. Please call (709) 896-3321 if you require assistance. Click HERE to download a copy of the sample tax bill.
2) Mortgage Company – Municipal Taxes (property & water/sewer) may have been included with your mortgage payment. If “COPY SENT TO MORTGAGOR” was printed on your 2020 Bill, the bank will receive your bill directly from the Town and pay your taxes by the due date and take advantage of the early payment discount.
3) Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) – Businesses may request to pay tax invoices via EFT. Please email your EFT request form to [email protected] to register. Remittance advices must also be sent to this address.
4) Cheque or Money Order – Cheques/Money Orders can be made payable to the Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay and sent via regular mail to the address on your bill. Please include the remittance portion from the bill with your cheque. Alternatively, write the Municipal Account Number and/or Customer Number on the memo line.
5) In branch – You may be able to pay your tax bill over the counter at your branch if you bank with one of the institutions listed above. Payment will be by way of deduction from your bank account, not with cash or by credit card. Please contact your branch directly to confirm hours before visiting.
Commercial and Business Customers are strongly encouraged to pay invoices using electronic methods.
1) Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) – Businesses may request to pay non-tax invoices via EFT. Please email your EFT request form to [email protected] to register.
2) By Cheque or Money Order – Cheques/Money Orders can be made payable to the Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay and sent via regular mail to the address on your bill. Please include a list of invoices being paid with the payment.
3) Interac E-Transfer – Invoices for anything other than tax bills may be paid by Interac e-transfer to [email protected] Input your invoice number in the Message field.
NOTE 1: The Town office is currently closed to the public however, staff is working on putting measures in place that will allow residents to come to Town Hall to make payment(s) on their Tax Bill. The Town will be releasing details and dates in the coming days.
NOTE 2: The Town is unable to take credit card payments over the phone or by fax for security reasons. If you are unable to send payments via any of the methods listed, please call 896-3321 for assistance.
NOTE 3: The Town’s Property Tax Low Income Relief Policy, outlined in Finance Policy F0009, remains in effect. Qualifying residents may print and complete the 2020 application, click HERE to download, and submit it along with their 2018 Notice of Assessment from the CRA to [email protected] Residents without internet access are asked to please call 896-7124 for further assistance.