Public Service Announcement
Snowmobile Safety – Ice Travel Warning
Information for the Public
Release Date: December 24th, 2019
The Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay, in conjunction with Happy Valley-Goose Bay Ground Search and Rescue, are reminding Snowmobilers to exercise care and caution over the Holiday Season. In particular, on ice crossings, as there have been many reports of areas with open water or less than favourable ice conditions.
- Dress for the weather and always wear your helmet
- Always plan your route and advise others of your plan
- Ride with a fellow rider, avoid traveling alone
- Never operate a snowmobile if you are consuming alcohol or drugs, driving a snow machine while impaired carries the same penalties as operating a motor vehicle
- When operating on lakes or rivers, know the ice conditions. Ice must be at least 25 cm thick, “don’t go if you don’t know”
- Be prepared for an emergency with a first aid kit, signally flares, something to build a fire if needed
- Make sure that your snowmobile is in good mechanical condition and safe to ride
- Be aware of your surroundings. Avoid riding at night in unfamiliar terrain. Stay on the trail system
The Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay and Happy Valley-Goose Bay Ground Search & Rescue would like to wish everyone a very safe and happy holiday.