Public Service Announcement
Planned Power Interruption – Upper Lake Melville
Sunday, May 30, 2021 – 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Information for the Public
Release Date: May 18, 2021
The Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay reminds residents of the planned power outage scheduled for Sunday, May 30, 2021, from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM. This outage will affect all of the Upper Lake Melville region, which includes:
- Happy Valley-Goose Bay
- Mud Lake
- North West River
NL Hydro cannot activate the Gas Turbine that serves as a backup generator for the Upper Lake Melville area due to the nature of the upgrades.
“Home generators are handy for backup electricity during an outage but must only be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s guidelines. A backup generator may only be connected to your home’s electrical system through an approved transfer panel and switch that has been installed by a qualified electrician. Never plug a generator into a wall outlet as serious injury can result when the current produced by the home generator is fed back into the electrical lines, and transformed to a higher voltage.”
Generator Safety Tips:
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Ensure that the generator operates outdoors in well-ventilated conditions, well away from doors or windows, to prevent exhaust gases from entering the house.
- Connect lights and appliances directly to the generator. If extension cords must be used, ensure they are properly rated, CSA-approved cords.
Food Safety Tips:
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. An unopened refrigerator will keep foods cold for about 4 hours. A freezer will keep food frozen for 24 to 36 hours if the door remains closed.
- Never use charcoal or gas barbecues, camping heating equipment, or home generators indoors because they give off carbon monoxide.
As this is a planned power outage for 12 hours, please take a moment to learn how you can safely prepare for this or any other power outage by visiting: