PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT 6 JULY 2021
CENTRAL LABRADOR YMCA PHASED OPENING BEGINS
The Central Labrador YMCA phased opening begins 2:30pm Wednesday, 7 July, 2021.
Open areas include the lobby, change rooms, family wellness centre, fitness studio, indoor walking/running track, and gymnasium. It is anticipated the aquatics centre will open later in the summer once an issue with the lighting has been resolved by the builder. Pre-sold memberships will be activated.
In accordance with Newfoundland and Labrador Public Health Guidelines, there will be COVID-19 compliance measures and limited capacities in effect when the new Central Labrador YMCA opens.
Once fully open, people in the community will be able to join with all-inclusive memberships which include swim lessons, child and youth programs, unlimited fitness classes, and access to the aquatics centre, indoor walking/running track, family wellness centre, and gymnasium. Member programs will be added as membership grows and the volunteer base expands. There will also be summer day camps, and, later on, a youth centre, regulated child care centre, and employment, enterprise, and newcomer programs.
We will also be ready to serve as priority groups the Mantas Swim Team, the Judo Club, the Gymnastics Club. The aquatics centre, gymnastics room, and judo room are purpose-built spaces that were the result of the Town’s pre-construction consultations. Meetings will be set later in July for leaders of other groups to explore usage options for as many as possible in fall program schedules.
Central Labrador YMCA General Manager Carolyn Tyner and her staff team are on-site training, setting up the spaces for activities, and looking forward to welcoming everyone tomorrow.
Here’s what’s happening:
- Most program supplies, equipment, and furniture has been delivered
- The climbing wall installation is delayed but we’re hopeful it won’t be for long
- The pools are inspected and work on the lighting is being resolved by the builder
- The regulated child care centre continues to be prepared for a tentative fall opening
- Equipment for the Family Wellness Centre has arrived and is set-up. Items include:
- a variety of sectorized equipment (tricep/bicep dip, rear delt pec fly, chest/shoulder press, low row, lat pull down, leg curl / press / extension), and functional trainers
- treadmills, ellipticals, recumbent bikes, upright bikes, and group cycle bikes
- climbmills, rower, and adaptive equipment
- multi half racks, free weights, and benches
Here are some details on how you can join the YMCA and become a member, join our staff team, register for child care or day camp, or attend employment enterprise and newcomer programs.