For Immediate Release
April 10, 2018
Happy Valley – Goose Bay, NL – A Year In Review of the Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay’s Strategic Plan (2017-2022 “Moving to Action”) has been released highlighting economic development advancements, community improvement and growth.
“Our Council and Town staff have made significant progress over the past year in meeting the goals set forth in the Strategic Plan,” said Mayor Wally Andersen. “The Town’s Strategic Plan Year In Review shows that we listened to our community and are taking action to identify opportunities for growth and economic development for the future prosperity of our town.”
The 2017-2018 review highlights progressions in each of the first Strategic Directions: Economic Vibrancy, Municipal Leadership, Environmental Stewardship, Quality of Life & Inclusivity and Infrastructure Renewal. Developments include:
• Establishment of a Central Labrador Tourism Working Group in partnership with community stakeholders;
• The release of a request for proposals on a RV Park Feasibility Study, expected to begin in May 2018;
• Continuation of plans for the Labrador Wellness Centre with project ground-breaking expected in summer 2018;
• Investments to upgrade the current water system and expand the well field;
• Collaboration with 5 Wing Goose Bay to gain access to Spring Gulch water supply, expected to begin this year;
• Widening and resurfacing of Kelland Drive to continue this year;
• A Municipal donation of $100K to the Early Childhood Development Association for a new Pumpkin House daycare facility; and
• Establishment of a Memorandum of Understanding with the Grand River Snowmobile Club to ensure effective maintenance of trails, enforcement of regulations, and sustainable, responsible and low-impact use of land.
Over the next five years, the Town will continue to align its priorities by setting goals and mobilizing resources to meet its commitments to the five Strategic Directions.
The Town consulted MDB Insight for the development of the new strategic plan. The Town recognized the need to develop an updated plan to reflect the growth within Central Labrador. The previous version Strategic Plan 2011- 2015 ”Securing our Future” expired as of 2015.
– 30 –
Public Relations & Special Events Manager
Town of Happy Valley – Goose Bay
o) 709-896-3254 ; c) 709-896-1609