The Privacy Commissioner of Canada defines privacy as “the right to control access to one’s person and
information about one’s self. The right to privacy means that individuals get to decide what and how much information you give up, to whom it is given, and for what uses”
Protection of privacy legislation protects “personal information”.
Personal information means recorded information about an identifiable individual, including:
- The individual’s name, address, or telephone number
- The individual’s race, national or ethnic origin, color, or religious or political beliefs or associations
- The individual’s age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, or family status
- An identifying number, symbol, or other particular assigned to the individual
- The individual’s fingerprints, blood type, or inheritable characteristics
- Information about the individual’s health care status or history, including a physical or mental disability
- Information about the individual’s educational, financial, criminal, or employment status or history
- The opinions of a person about the individual
- The individual’s personal views or opinions
The purpose of this policy is to foster greater public trust by establishing clear accountability statements, including roles and responsibilities for the protection of personal information collected, used, disclosed, and disposed of by the Municipality of Happy Valley-Goose Bay and to be compliant under the Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act, 2015 (Newfoundland and Labrador).
The policy applies to all Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay (the Town) staff, volunteers, and contract staff
hired by the Town.
This policy applies to all personal information managed by the Town and is not limited by the scope of any individual statute or regulation.
The Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay will
- Ensure all employees share responsibility for the protection of personal information privacy and compliance with the roles and responsibilities identified in this policy
- Apply this policy and related policies and practices in the collection, use, disclosure, and disposal of personal
- Clearly communicate to the public how personal information is collected, used, disclosed and
- Make privacy training mandatory, commensurate with their job responsibilities, for all Town staff.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Department Managers and or Director of Human Resources will administer and communicate this Policy to all staff within the respective
- Department Managers and all persons in a Management or Supervisory role shall promote a culture and business practices that ensure Town information is shared and accessible while respecting the security and privacy requirements of personal information and other confidentiality obligations.
Obligations of Town Staff:
- Manage personal information that is part of a business record in accordance with the requirements identified in this Policy.
- Undertake privacy awareness training for the appropriate handling of personal information to understand their responsibilities to protect privacy in executing their operational
- Follow specific procedures established for disclosing personal information to a law enforcement agency in
- Comply with applicable legislation that governs the collection, use, disclosure, and disposition of the personal information under their
The collection of personal information from or about the individual to whom the information relates, including unintended or unprompted receipt.
The release of personal information by any method, for example – sharing information by any means such as verbally, sending an email, posting online to anybody or person.
The action taken with regards to personal information including destruction, transfer to another entity, or permanent preservation.
Personal Information :
Personal information is recorded information about an identifiable individual.
The improper or unauthorized creation, collection, use, disclosure, retention, or disposition of personal information.
The purpose or purposes for which the information was obtained or compiled.