Treatment Facilities and Distribution

The Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay’s water supply is made up from two sources. The Water Treatment Plant is supplied by 5 deep wells located 6.5 kilometers west along the Trans Labrador Highway.

Currently the Water Treatment Plant supplies approximately 65% of the water to the town. Spring Gulch, the second water source makes up the remaining 35%. Treatment at the Town’s Water Treatment Plant consists of iron and manganese removal with a Green Sand Filter system. The chemicals used for the treatment process are alum, potassium permanganate, chlorine and lime. At the Spring Gulch water plant, fluoride is used as per DND requirements along with chlorine and ultra violet for disinfection.

The water distribution side of the system has three reservoirs and pumping stations. The largest is the Sandhill Reservoir, located at the top of MOT hill, which has a capacity of 1.2 million gallons. This reservoir supplies the Happy Valley section of town. The second reservoir is D –19, which is located next to the former Midway Garden Restaurant and has a capacity of 150,000 gallons that supplies the MOT section of town. The third reservoir is D-42, located on Halifax Street, has a capacity of 450,000 gallons to supply the Northside Industrial Park and Spruce Park. In addition to the pumping stations, the Town maintains approximately 65,000 meters of water mains ranging in size from 4″ to 20″ in diameter. We also maintain 388 fire hydrants throughout the town.

Daily tests are taken and recorded for chlorine residuals at the three reservoirs and at an additional 10 sites throughout the town to ensure potable water quality. The Water & Sewer Department is responsible for the operation and maintenance of three pump houses, chlorine booster station and water quality testing as well as the maintenance of the water distribution system including valves, hydrants, mains, metres and laterals to the curb stop.

A water main flushing program is carried out every second summer. This process cleans the watermain pipes by forcing water through at high speed, and discharging it through the hydrants. It removes sediments from the distribution system and ensures that we provide high water quality to our residents. During the flushing program, all hydrant nozzles and valves in the system are exercised as a part of the ongoing distribution system maintenance program.