PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT 7 JULY 2021
CENTRAL LABRADOR YMCA PHASED OPENING BEGINS 2:30PM TODAY
The Central Labrador YMCA phased opening begins 2:30pm Wednesday, 7 July, 2021.
In accordance with Newfoundland and Labrador Public Health Guidelines, there will be COVID-19 compliance measures and limited capacities in effect.
Pre-sold memberships will be activated. Open areas are the lobby, change rooms, family wellness centre, fitness studio, indoor walking/running track, gymnasium, and multi-purpose room rentals/birthday parties. Summer day camps begin Monday, 12 July. Hours of operation may be adjusted based on demand.
In the coming months as some building deficiencies are corrected, membership grows, and the volunteer base expands:
- Aquatics leadership courses (Bronze Medallion, Bronze Cross, National Lifeguard, and Standard First Aid) will be offered in advance of a public opening
- Aquatics centre opens to public (tentatively August, 2021 once an issue with the lighting has been resolved by the builder). The water slide will open pending an inspection
- Fitness leadership courses (group cycle, yoga, strength training, etc.) will be offered
- In the fall, swim lessons (adults and children) will start, child minding, indoor playground (with inflatable bouncy castle), sports and games, fitness classes, climbing wall, and youth centre
- The regulated child care centre will open one class room at a time once licensed
- Employment, enterprise, and newcomer programs will start being offered
We will also be ready to serve as priority groups the Mantas Swim Team, the Judo Club, the Gymnastics Club. The aquatics centre, gymnastics room, and judo room are purpose-built spaces that were the result of the Town’s pre-construction consultations. Meetings will be set later in July for leaders of other groups to explore usage options for as many as possible in fall program schedules.
Central Labrador YMCA General Manager Carolyn Tyner and her staff team are on-site training, setting up the spaces for activities, and looking forward to welcoming everyone!
Here are some details on how you can join the YMCA and become a member, join our staff team, register for child care or day camp, or attend employment enterprise and newcomer programs.