Public Service Announcement – Civic Numbering Regulations
Information for the Public
Release Date: February 8, 2023
The Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay would like to remind the public of the Civic Numbering Regulations and the importance of Residential and Commercial Addressing.
There isn’t always someone available to wave down a Firefighter or Police Officer and direct them to the location of the emergency, so the emergency personnel responding are depending on those numbers on the front of a residence or a business. It is difficult for emergency vehicles to find homes or businesses whose address numbers are not clearly visible or properly posted.
Searching for the location where the address is not appropriately marked can increase the response time and possibly affect the outcome of the emergency, especially considering some first responders are not local to the area and may not “Know” where people live. It is recommended that Happy Valley-Goose Bay Residents take a few moments to install house numbers or examine existing house numbers and ensure that installation is in accordance with the Regulations.
A Property that is properly addressed allows emergency responders to provide emergency medical services, fire suppression and law enforcement response much more efficiently. The following guidelines should be used when addressing your house or business:
- Numbers color contrasting to background for ease of recognition. (Brass/Bronze numbers are difficult to see).
- Visible from both directions of travel.
- Be sure the view of the numbers is not obstructed by shrubs, trees or decorations.
- Placarded clearly on the structure. Think about vegetation obscuring view.
- Recommend placarding secondary location from structure for positive identification in case of catastrophic event.
- Numbers are to be used. Do not spell out the numerical designation.
- Minimum character size is noted in the Regulations.
- For a complete list of the standards, please see “Section 9: Civic Numbering Standards” of the attached Regulations.
Whether you are a Business Owner, Homeowner, Landlord, or Tenant; the Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay encourages you to familiarize yourself with the new regulations which are now in effect.
For more information and to download the new Civic Numbering Regulations click below: