Public Service Announcement
Extension of Tax Discount Deadline
Information for the Public
Release Date: April 29, 2020
The Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay is advising the public that it is closely monitoring information related to the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
To help further protect the health, safety, and welfare of all residents of Happy Valley-Goose Bay, the 12th Council of the Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay is advising residents that the deadline to avail of the 5% discount on your tax bill has been extended from 4:30 PM, Thursday, April 30, 2020, to 4:30 PM, Friday, May 29, 2020.
Unfortunately, the Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay will not be introducing an Online Portal to accept Credit Card payments for the 2020 Tax year, however, staff at Town Hall are putting provisions in place that will allow residents to come to Town Hall to make payments using their Credit Card. These provisions include providing barriers that ensure Social/Physical Distancing that protect both residents and staff. Further details and dates to follow in the coming days.
Property Owners and Commercial Tenants are strongly encouraged to pay their annual tax bills using electronic methods. Outlined below are payment methods currently available.
- Online Banking Platforms – The Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay is currently registered with the following financial institutions:
Royal Bank of Canada (RBC),
Bank of Montreal (BMO),
TD Canada Trust, and
Central 1 Credit Union (Eagle River Credit Union, League Savings and Mortgage).
In the Add a payee section, search the word “Happy” and you will be able to locate the Town’s payee name. Next, the account number will be the six- or nine-digit “Municipal Account Number” found on your tax bill (see below sample invoice) followed by enough zeroes (0), either five or two, to reach 11 digits in total. Please call (709) 896-3321 if you require assistance. Click HERE to download a copy of the sample tax bill.
2) Mortgage Company – Municipal Taxes (property & water/sewer) may have been included with your mortgage payment. If “COPY SENT TO MORTGAGOR” was printed on your 2020 Bill, the bank will receive your bill directly from the Town and pay your taxes by the due date and take advantage of the early payment discount.
3) Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) – Businesses may request to pay tax invoices via EFT. Please email your EFT request form to DFO@TownHVGB.com to register. Remittance advices must also be sent to this address.
4) Cheque or Money Order – Cheques/Money Orders can be made payable to the Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay and sent via regular mail to the address on your bill. Please include the remittance portion from the bill with your cheque. Alternatively, write the Municipal Account Number and/or Customer Number on the memo line.
5) In branch – You may be able to pay your tax bill over the counter at your branch if you bank with one of the institutions listed above. Payment will be by way of deduction from your bank account, not with cash or by credit card. Please contact your branch directly to confirm hours before visiting.
Commercial and Business Customers are strongly encouraged to pay invoices using electronic methods.
1) Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) – Businesses may request to pay non-tax invoices via EFT. Please email your EFT request form to DFO@TownHVGB.com to register.
2) By Cheque or Money Order – Cheques/Money Orders can be made payable to the Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay and sent via regular mail to the address on your bill. Please include a list of invoices being paid with the payment.
3) Interac E-Transfer – Invoices for anything other than tax bills may be paid by Interac e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org. Input your invoice number in the Message field.
NOTE 1: The Town office is currently closed to the public however, staff is working on putting measures in place that will allow residents to come to Town Hall to make payment(s) on their Tax Bill. The Town will be releasing details and dates in the coming days.
NOTE 2: The Town is unable to take credit card payments over the phone or by fax for security reasons. If you are unable to send payments via any of the methods listed, please call 896-3321 for assistance.
NOTE 3: The Town’s Property Tax Low Income Relief Policy, outlined in Finance Policy F0009, remains in effect. Qualifying residents may print and complete the 2020 application, click HERE to download and submit it along with their 2018 Notice of Assessment from the CRA to SAT@townhvgb.com. Residents without internet access are asked to please call 896-7124 for further assistance.
These unprecedented measures, though unfortunate, are necessary to be proactive against the potential spread of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), and the Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay extends thanks to the public for their understanding at this time. Council and Staff appreciate your understanding during this time of uncertainty. We look forward to welcoming you back to your Town Hall.
In consultation with officials at Labrador Grenfell Health and guidance released by the office of the Provincial Chief Medical Officer of Health, the 12th Council of Happy Valley-Goose and Management will monitor updates relating to the pandemic and update residents regularly.
The Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay strongly recommends that residents and businesses utilize a cautious approach and exercise recommended practices to help prevent the potential spread of COVID-19.
For more information on the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and to stay up to date, visit: