Public Service Announcement
Guy Fawkes Night 2020 CANCELLED
Information for the Public
Release Date: October 27, 2020
The Happy Valley-Goose Bay Department of Community Services & Recreation advises the public that due to concerns centered around the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), the Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay Annual Guy Fawkes Night with Free Public Skate is canceled.
These unprecedented measures, though unfortunate, are necessary to be proactive against the potential spread of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), and the Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay extends thanks to the public for their understanding during this time of uncertainty.
Although the annual Town Guy Fawkes Night Community Bonfire has been cancelled, we know that many of you will opt to take part in your own back yard fires.
We are offering a little contest of sorts; email us at email@example.com with your name and address. We will put all entries in a draw to take place on Monday, November 2, 2020, via Facebook Live. We will have 20 only Smores Kits, and Roasting Sticks up for grabs.
On the topic of Back Yard fires, All Open Air Fires that utilize firepits, chimeneas, and burning barrels are required to adhere to the Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay Open Fires Policy # PS0006, which states the following:
- The fire must be contained in a non-combustible enclosure with a surface area of not more than 60 cm square
2. The fire enclosure must be not less than 5m from any combustible surface, and the bottom is on non-combustible
3. The top must be covered with a suitable spark arrester screen, as per National Building Code/ National Fire Code.
4. A source of water must be readily available in the event in an emergency
5. The burning must be supervised by an adult at all times
6. Only wood or by-products of wood may be burned. Ordinary trash, plastics, , shall not be burned due to toxicity and odor of smoke
7. If any complaints are received from neighbors, etc., about smoke problems, the fire will have to be extinguished by the person starting the
8. During the periods of high or extreme fire index or high winds, the above guidelines are void, and no fires
9. At any time, the Municipal Enforcement Officer or a member from the Fire Department may inspect your fire enclosure and the area surrounding
10. If a more serious fire results from the enclosed fire and it is proven so, the guilty party may be charged with all associated damage.
11. If anyone of the above guidelines is not adhered to, the person may be charged with non-compliance of the town fire regulations.
To view the Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay Open Fires Policy, follow the below link: