Public Service Announcement
Town to Re-Open for In-Person Tax Bill Payments
Information for the Public
Release Date: May 19, 2020
The Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay is advising the public that it is closely monitoring information related to the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
To help further protect the health, safety, and welfare of all residents of Happy Valley-Goose Bay, the 12th Council of the Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay is advising residents that the deadline to avail of the 5% discount on your tax bill has been extended to 4:00 PM, Friday, May 29, 2020, for those paying in person at Town Hall.
As we adapt to a new normal, we also need to modify how we serve residents. Although during the start of the 2020 tax season, the Town provided several bill payment options, now it is time to re-open to allow residents the opportunity to avail of the extended discount period. Though cash and cheque will be accepted, the preferred method of payment is debit or credit card.
To this end, the following plan for re-opening the Town Hall will be implemented on Wednesday, May 20, 2020, at 9:00 AM:
- The public will be permitted to pay their Residential and Business Tax Bills at Town Hall from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM starting Wednesday, May 20, 2020, at 9:00 AM
- Starting at 9:00 AM, a door monitor will be put in place to open the door when someone arrives and prevent others from entering if there is already one individual inside
- For all other services, please call 896-3321 to arrange an appointment
- Barricades will be put in place to allow only for a straight path between the bill payment counter and the door
- A plexiglass barrier has been installed to provide a safe physical distance while serving residents
- Clerks will be provided with appropriate PPE if they so desire
- The door monitor will wipe down the outside counter and door handles after each transaction
- The Clerk will wipe down the debit machine after each transaction
These unprecedented measures, though unfortunate, are necessary to be proactive against the potential spread of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), and the Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay extends thanks to the public for their understanding at this time. Council and Staff appreciate your understanding during this time of uncertainty. We look forward to welcoming you back to your Town Hall.
Please respect the social/physical distancing plan listed above for the protection of everyone, including residents as well as staff.
In consultation with officials at Labrador Grenfell Health and guidance released by the office of the Provincial Chief Medical Officer of Health, the 12th Council of Happy Valley-Goose and Management will monitor updates relating to the pandemic and update residents regularly.
The Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay strongly recommends that residents and businesses utilize a cautious approach and exercise recommended practices to help prevent the potential spread of COVID-19.
For more information on the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and to stay up to date, visit: